Is this role right for you?
I am looking for a Senior Java Software Engineer, you will help innovate, design, build, and support critical parts of my clients backend infrastructure. Their web applications are built using Java and Spring, with React and Angular on the frontend, but you may also be exposed to Python, Scala, and C++ for offline and data components. With a strong DevOps culture, you’ll have end-to-end ownership of your domain and they’ll talk as much about ‘why’ as ‘what’ and ‘how’. You’ll work in cross-functional teams with data and frontend engineers, but also data scientists and others across the business. With soft boundaries between teams, you’ll have opportunities to dip into other domains as much or as little as you’d like. You’ll be someone who has a passion for delivering products that delight and astound your customers and that have an enduring impact on the business. You’ll focus on long-lasting agility in their technology and team, which almost always means practising Good Engineering and following Lean Development principles. And, of course, you’ll enjoy being part of a team that supports each other through mentoring, brainstorming, and pairing up to solve ambitious challenges.
This is a full-time, permanent position based in the UK. They’ve embraced home working and expect this to continue indefinitely, but occasional face-to-face meetings may be necessary in the future- from their Edinburgh tech hub.
• Innovate, implement, support, and iterate on their application infrastructure and online and offline codebases
• Support, mentor, and pair with other members of the team to advance their team’s capabilities and capacity
• Help identify and take advantage of new and innovative opportunities for commercial and technical growth
• 3+ years experience as a backend developer and architect for complex, customer-centric web and offline applications
• Advanced knowledge of Java and the Spring Framework
• Mastery of RESTful API and web serving concepts
• Familiarity with distributed systems and concurrency topics
• Experience designing and implementing secure, highly scalable systems
• Expertise with relational and non-relational database concepts
• Excellent knowledge of data structures and algorithms at-scale
• Mastery of debugging and optimising data-centric Java applications
• Comfort with server-side Linux and cloud infrastructure
• Knowledge of Good Engineering and when to go fast and when to go slow
• Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or similar
• Experience with CI/CD, Jenkins, Docker, Kubernetes, Prometheus + Grafana
• Knowledge of machine learning algorithms and how to implement them in production environments
Key Technologies We Use (buzzword bingo, in no particular order):
For a more detailed spec, please register your interest. We regret only successful applicants will be contacted.
Please complete the form below: *Required